We recently watched a TED talk given by Neil Pasricha in which he talks about the Three A’s of Awesome: Attitude, Awareness and Authenticity. Basically the Three A’s are an approach to life that help you keep things in perspective. Pasricha started a blog, 1000 Awesome Things, a few years ago when his life was in turmoil to remind himself of the everyday things that make life great. He blogged about stuff we often take for granted, such as the first meal you eat after a cold or that last, crumby triangle in a bag of potato chips. His blog went on to win a Webby Award and was turned into a book entitled The Book of Awesome.
There really are little things to be thankful for. So our own list for the workplace:
- Getting a hand-written thank you note
- Walking into the office with coffee already made
- Snow days
- Hearing from an old colleague
- Finding a parking spot close to the entrance (Bonus: you’re running late for work.)
- Seeing your first business card
- Seeing your first business card after a promotion
- That creative spark that hits you when you least expect it
- The feeling in the office the last day before a holiday weekend
- Finding a pen that writes just the way you like it
- Hitting every green light on the way to work
- Those days when there’s no traffic
- Discovering a new restaurant with your co-workers
Can you think of other awesome things around the office?