Surprisingly, there isn’t a whole lot of literature (or, as it is known today, information on the internet) about how to market to – and communicate with – consumers of energy. With this in mind, I interviewed some energy marketing experts on staff at Marketwave and compiled some best practices:
- Audit what you’ve got. Review all communications and make necessary adjustments to reflect your brand at every touch point.
- Consider the crisis. Sit in a room with key employees and brainstorm everything that could go wrong in your business. Plan for every possible scenario, from a spill to an employee accident, and then map out ways to manage the impact of each.
- Get out of the office. Take your marketing to the streets with experiences and educational events that spur in-person interaction with customers and stakeholders.
- Be human. Leverage personal experiences and everyday examples of energy savings to connect with consumers. This Energy blog does just that (full disclosure, Oncor is a Marketwave client and Marketwave assisted with the development of this blog).
- Look at all angles. Consider the total customer experience by mapping all customer touch points and life cycles to ensure you are taking advantage of every customer interaction.
Energy marketers, sound off! What works well in your communication efforts to consumers?