The fall season for us Texans can mean temperature swings from 85 degrees like last week, down to the 30s this week. But even with our schizophrenic weather, this time of year always means the forward march toward the holidays. Although I’m one of those crazy people who starts putting decorations up early and mapping out the Christmas list in October, I still make sure to pause this week to be thoughtful about Thanksgiving and what it means to me. It’s about being thankful for family and friends, and also appreciating the possibilities that are ahead as we close down this year and plan for the next.
Psychologists have said that gratitude is strongly and consistently associated with greater happiness. It helps people feel more positive emotions, relish good experiences, improve their health, deal with adversity, and build strong relationships. Sounds good to me.
So, I’m up for reaping those benefits today by sharing a short list of what I’m thankful for:
- A faith that guides and strengthens me each day with an assurance of hope for the future
- A loving family that supports me and keeps me laughing even through the inevitable ups and downs of life
- An incredible work team that gives their best each day and is committed to Marketwave being a great place to be each day
- A group of clients that value us as a partner and appreciate our strategic thinking and consistently flawless execution
- Time off this week for the holiday to unplug a bit, recharge and relax before the December calendar sprint takes place
Those are my top 5, so how about for you? If you had to list a couple of things you’re most thankful for this year, what would they be? Really, take a minute to think about it. It’s proven to make you happier if you do!
Happy Thanksgiving to all of our readers and those connected to Marketwave in various ways. Safe travels if you’re headed out of town, and if not, then I hope it’s a relaxing long weekend for you however you choose to celebrate.