With more than 255 million active users and 500 million Tweets sent out every day, it’s tough to know who or what to follow on Twitter.
As marketing and communications professionals, we view Twitter through a different lens: one that allows us to monitor breaking news, respond to reporter inquiries and position our clients as subject matter experts. We also use it to maintain our expertise in specific industries – like energy.
So, as a follow-up to my recent post listing the top 10 sources for energy industry news, I decided to share a list of the top 10 energy influencers on Twitter based on the number of followers, Tweets, retweets and the quality of content.
In no particular order, the list includes:
- @engerati – Engerati represents a global community of smart energy professionals with more than 3,000 Twitter followers. They’ve tweeted more than 12,000 times since joining in 2011.
- @ercot_ISO – ERCOT manages the flow of electric power to 23 million Texas customers, representing 85 percent of the state’s electric load. More than 5,700 followers and 900+ Tweets.
- @ieeesmartgrid – IEEE Smart Grid is the world’s largest professional association for the advancement of technology. 8,000+ followers and more than 11,000 Tweets.
- @energycollectiv – Offers commentary and analysis on energy policy, climate change, energy technologies and fuels, and energy innovation. More than 40,000 followers and 30,000+ Tweets.
- @ENERGY – The Energy Department’s Twitter account focuses on building the new clean energy economy, reducing nuclear dangers and environmental risks, and expanding the frontiers of knowledge through innovative scientific research. More than 184,000 followers and 6,500+ Tweets.
- @boonepickens – The legendary and visionary entrepreneur, T. Boone Pickens has an interest not only in alternative fuel development, but also in America’s energy future (check out the Pickens Plan for more info.). He has more than 119,000 followers and nearly 2,000 Tweets.
- @NREL – The National Renewable Energy Laboratory focuses on creative answers to today’s energy challenges and is the U.S. Department of Energy’s primary national laboratory for renewable energy and energy efficiency research and development. More than 28,000 followers and 600+ Tweets.
- @EnergyTomorrow – Features news and conversation from people of America’s oil and natural gas industry. More than 29,000 followers, 21,000+ Tweets and nearly 700 photos/videos.
- @EIA – The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) provides energy statistics and analysis for sound policy making, efficient markets and public education. More than 37,000 followers and nearly 12,000 Tweets.
- @EnergyNation – Representing America’s oil and natural gas industry, Energy Nation offers first-hand perspectives to policymakers. Nearly 15,000 followers and more than 4,000 Tweets.
Which energy influencers are you following on Twitter?
And, if you’re not already, follow us @marketwave!